Skip to main content

The Real Superhero...

The Real Superhero...


You meet a lot of people in your life and most people will be forgotten with time. But, some people always have some influence over you even though you've lost the touch with them. Some people just take you back in time to remind you of the lessons you learned from them. Maybe you don't know everything about them, but something about them just tells that he/she is a kind person than he/she appears to be. This post is about one such person whom my parents don't even know about, he's no more but he has inspired me a lot during my childhood.
This is a story of a man, who lived by his own rules,
This is the story of an engineer, who was full of compassion but still lived a lonely life,
This is a story of an introvert, who shared a great bond with kids,
This story is about Uncle Dinesh.



Uncle Dinesh was an engineer and in his late 60's when I first met him. His apartment was a level below mine. I never knew he existed even though I was living in the same place for years. I remember that he loved cricket and he used to watch kids play from the balcony.
I loved cricket back then but still sucked at it! My bowling action was so weak, that the batsman could easily predict the pitch of the ball. He used to observe kids play and had a good time doing that. One day, the batsman hit the ball up in the air and it appeared to go inside his house. I was the only ten-year-old fielder there so I had to go and bring the ball back.

I went there and the door was open. I could hear Sanskrit chants so I just knocked on the door and waited outside. I knew he lived there as I could see him enjoying the cricket from the balcony. After 3-4 minutes, the man came to me smiling with the ball in his hand. He was too skinny for his voice that seemed like one of a hefty man. He had those bifocal spectacles and beard which hadn't been cut in days. He gave me the ball but didn't say anything. I threw the ball to the guys who were waiting for the ball for a long time. They resumed playing cricket before I joined them. And yeah, a 10-year-old is only good as a ball-boy when the adults are playing. On a good day, if the team runs out of batsmen, you get a chance to pick up the bat and bat for the team (I appreciated that though). I would get a chance to bowl if I was playing with my friends. I used to play during the weekends and practice on weekdays at my home. But still, I wasn't the perfect bowler.


A few days later, I saw Uncle Dinesh on my way to school and he asked me to meet him later so that he can tell me something about my bowling action.
That's it!
That's all I wanted as a kid who wanted to be best at the craft! And just like many other 10-year-old cricket lovers would have thought, I thought that it's my first step to represent India on a global level. I went to him with my other friend. He invited us inside while he was eating cream biscuits with milk. His house was the most unusual house I'd ever seen in my life. He lived in an office! More than half of his house was converted into an office. It was a house full of shelves with large files stacked in them. There was a computer on a table with CDs and floppy disks around it. And most of all, he had no television at his home!
But I didn't care much; I was there to get my cricket lessons.

He taught us the correct ways to bowl. He also told me that my pitches lacked speed. Then, he also told me how my friend was a better bowler than me. I shouldn't have taken him with me in the first place. We ended up practicing cricket in the balcony. I thought I was improving under his guidance. I could see myself in that jersey representing India (Just like many other 10-year-olds). And as a reward, he gave us stickers that he got on those cream biscuits he was eating.

Uncle Dinesh was a passionate hard worker. He loved kids but he was less expressive. He didn't take part in the festivals that were being celebrated in society but enjoyed them from the balcony. He worked for this brother who was in a business related to engineering parts. He wasn't married, lived alone, and cooked by himself. I would always see him repairing electric boards and broken furniture on my way back home.

How could a man be so perfect?
He was proud that I was learning Tabla (a musical instrument) and the French language, as he loved classical music and languages himself. Even after he got old and was struggling with his health, he would ask me about my progress in the language.
Little did I know that all this work, loneliness and self-dependence can have its negatives too.






As I grew up, I got busier with my school. Talking about socializing, I became an introvert myself. We could only talk on my way to the school or my way back home.
But still, I enjoyed an amazing bond with him at that point in my life. As I got into college (2016), I left home early and returned late in the evening. Not just me, but everyone in society got busier. There were no cricket matches like before. I stopped playing cricket as I realized that I sucked at it and was thinking of taking it as a career. I picked up new hobbies but never shared it with Uncle Dinesh. The only communication we used to have was a smile if at all we saw each other.



Uncle Dinesh got sick, he wasn't doing the business work anymore. He became forgetful of things and had difficulties in recognizing people. He became skinnier and wasn't taking good care of his health. I couldn't hear the Sanskrit hymns from his house anymore.
The worst part was, all these years of hard work and self-reliance made him refuse all the help he received from the people. The only thing that he used to rely on for walking was his walking stick. One day while leaving for the college, I saw him repairing one of his shelves. We both talked to each other for a while, he seemed happy and weak at the same time. He was still doing all the work on his own.



One day, I got the news from the neighbors that he passed away. I couldn't believe it at first. He was more of an experience for me. All the thoughts, all the teachings that he shared with me are precious. His hard work and relentless nature will always motivate me to work better in life. That man was a life lesson on his own. He was a man who deserved better in every aspect of life; whether it be relationships, health, or wealth.
He might have been arrogant at times when people tried to help him but at the same time, he was true to himself. He always spoke and stood for the truth.



The society has become much quieter over these years. Uncle Dinesh's house is locked now. But still, whenever I look at that the closed door, my mind takes me back in those days where I could hear those hymns, see that computer surrounded by shelves stacked with files, and see the man who lived his life on his terms. He wasn't a human one can talk for a while and call him his friend; He was an experience, an astounding experience. There are no signs of Uncle Dinesh in the society, except for the nameplate on his door.







(Who said there are no superheroes? They are operating around you doing their best to make this world a better place to live. Some might be being kind to people even they do not get the same treatment or some might be giving their best at a job without expecting anything in return. The world is filled with superheroes. You know about mine, who's yours?)






Comments

  1. MR. ENDLESS 🔥September 24, 2020 at 6:02 AM

    Nice work, well written keep it up ❤️��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mr. Endless!
      These kind words mean a lot to me. Enjoy your day😄

      Delete
  2. print ("That is emotional story feels like he has given the golden messages to all us.May his soul rip.")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. print("That's right Incredible!\n
      I'm happy that you got the message out of the text.\n And yes, he's in a better place now ")

      Delete
  3. The blog reminds me of the fact that there are many people who unknowningly and unconditionally touch the lives of many, but there are very few considerate individuals like u who acknowledge and remember them.
    U hav done great.........ONCE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Pranav. And that's true, there are many people around you who subconsciously impact your life in a better way through their work or their thoughts. It's important to recognise them. Thanks for the support man! I'm glad that you got the message.

      Delete
  4. Thank you Ayush bhai!
    Thanks for always supporting the blog. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice real life experience !!!
    Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aditya, this means a lot to me. I'm glad that you enjoyed it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Big Decision (Exams Cancelled)

The Big Decision (Exams Cancelled) It's a known fact that the COVID-19 has brought the world to a halt. Everyone was trying their best to make the most of their time. Some people were renovating their houses; some were trying out new recipes and some were studying for the exams. The majority of the students were treating this quarantine period as their summer vacation. Perhaps a vacation where you could do anything you want inside your house (Under the supervision of your parents which makes it not very cool). Please don't get me wrong, being able to spend time with your parents is a blessing. The phone usage of students rose significantly resulting in parents telling students how our generation is addicted to the technology. Every generation has pros and cons though. Social media, web series, animes became the part of every student's life. But deep down, every student knew that this was just an escape to forget the fact that exams can be conducted by the universi

Fake influencers: The agents of manufactured reality

 Fake influencers: The agents of manufactured reality How many public figures do you follow on various social media platforms? It’s great to be up-to-date with what’s going on in their life, isn’t it? Maybe you’re a big fan of his/her work or post feed. Their presence on social media ensures that they stay relevant to the culture and give their followers a chance to get a peek into their lives. A good amount of following can be used to create awareness, raise money for a cause and create a strong community. On the flip-side, it can also be used to push products/courses that benefit only the ones who sell them, and imbibe ideologies that are biased and serve no good to society. Many of such influencers sell us manufactured reality time and time again. It can severely affect our well-being as being the consumers of the same. There’s a lot of political tension in the world. People divide themselves based on countries, beliefs, races, genders, and ideologies. Most of them are just

Top 5 things to learn from The TATA group

Top 5 things to learn from The TATA group We all have complicated lives and we're all trying to make it better in our ways. Life teaches us awesome things but at the cost of throwing punches on us. The other day, I was reading about the TATA group and its history. I was amazed by the similarities a company can possess to the human life. The failures, the successes, the hopes, the creativity; this company has gone through everything a human does in life. It was only because the company was blessed with great leaders who took the right decisions in wrong times and the employees who poured their blood, sweat, and tears to make their visions turn into a reality. Let's see the top 5 things we can learn from this company to live a better life… 1. Things don't always go our way, accept it and move on   Air India which was formerly known as "TATA Airlines" was formed in 1932. It was liked by the customers for its incredibly great service. J.R.D. T